Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Nasty weather

For the last three days we are in the grip of an arctic blast. It was -26' here this morning and is around 3' right now. The best part is the sun is shining and filling the porch with free btu's.

Tonight will be almost as cold, but tomorrow it is supposed to improve. This winter has been a difficult one for me; coping without Peter's good brain, without his company, without the warmth of his hugs and without the warmth of him in the bed near to me has been a cold and frigid experience for my brain too. Roll on spring, I can't wait to get outside again, drive anywhere I want to, when I want to, and stop listening to the chug of the furnace. Speaking of which - has anyone out there noticed that the oil companies report record profits whenever the price of gas goes up due to a supposed short supply? As Shakespeare put it -
"There is something rotten in the State of Denmark"

frigidity

four below at four o’clock
february on the cusp of january
ice crystals hang in still air
snow over ice
bubble-wraps the landscape
cat scratches the furniture
in boredom
deer moved back to brush
along the river bank
juncos desert the feeder
sun descends in silver rays
the house cracks in contraction
I put on bing crosby
who’s crooning with jack
teagarden and eddie condon
with a touch of Satchmo
dance around the living room
to put movement in my static day
cabin fever, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment