Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rosebud County













Before I came to this country in 1964, I went to the college library trying to find Birney on a map. Largely, I was unsuccessful, but then I found an old atlas of the USA and there it was, right in Rosebud County! What a wonderful place to go, I thought. I later found the name appropriate, because in June many wild rose bushes carry delightful pink single petaled roses, such as the one in the picture above, they are even fragrant. I transplanted many of them around our house putting them by fence posts that would channel water down to them, in this arid climate.

Another rose is in full bloom currently, and that is the Harrison's Yellow Shrub Rose. Brought out here by the pioneers who took snippets from their eastern gardens. It is a true survivor, coming into it's glory at the beginning of June each year. The streets in Sheridan,WY. are full of houses with them spilling over the fence or wall. In all, in June take time to sniff the flowers.

Daily Haiku
harrison's yellow
explodes color and competes
with wild pink dog rose











No comments:

Post a Comment