Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sleepin' With The Bees






daily haiku

flight path for the bees
directly over my head
I am buzzed for sure

I sat outside in the shade to read near the honeysuckle tree. It was wonderful; as the breeze dropped, the smell of warm honeysuckle scent drifted to me, intoxicating and full of spring. I was directly in the flight path for bumblebees nearly the size of a half dollar. Laden with nectar they flew over my head on their way to wherever their nest is (to the northwest). One landed on me and I was so startled my book went flying! 

I could not resist photos, got a few as you can see, but wished I had a real macro lens for sure. The hill is alive with creatures enjoying the fruits of the season. Behind me the Lilac in it's last stages of bloom was alive with small butterflies, and to my amazement, moths were in a psychotic frenzy hardly stopping to take nectar or whatever attracted them. 

With the buzzing of the bees, the warm (85') air, the aroma, and the twittering of finches, my eyes started to close and I had trouble reading my book. So I moved out into the sun, but it was no solution to the problem.  I almost fell out of the chair as I nodded off briefly! I finally came inside to write and hopefully stay awake.
Who knows about the book..........



3 comments:

  1. It's been a cold wet day here, but your description of the bees, the warmth, the aroma of honeysuckle and the remembrance of the aroma of our lilacs almost put me to sleep. Wonderful spring time feelings.

    And that's the way to get buzzed, a high from nature. It's why I love walking out at the Plains Center. The sounds of the critters, the warm aroma of fresh growing grass, and the sight of a hawk circling in a blue prairie sky gives me a buzz.

    Love the pictures also. I have a few of bees on some Canada Thistle that are great. Also one of a Monarch on a thistle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice note Art, glad you liked the post. I was talking to friends today who all said they had never seen this type of large bumblebee before, and they are all over people's yards. Owen said that sometimes they hit the window of his bus with a loud bang and make a big mess - sad but interesting.Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is truly cool stuff. Why are there so few followers?

    ReplyDelete