Saturday, July 17, 2010

Star Gazing


A special gift of sympathy was given to me this week . A bouquet of flowers. I used the safety belt in my car in order to transport it down the gravel road without bruising the blossoms. In the bouquet was a Stargazer Lily; oh how I love them. Large, vivacious, and aromatic it sends it's fragrance out into the room and captures my attention every time I enter. It keeps me company by it's sheer perfume.
Many of us gaze at a star-filled sky. I would guess that poets indulge in the past-time more than others. A walk under a deep blue sky filled with stars at the end of summer or early fall is
like seeing a miracle, and if we are especially lucky, we can witness meteor showers. Out here in Big Sky country it is rare that we cannot see the stars, one of the many reasons I love it here.
Daily Haiku
in our star-filled world
we float towards a heaven
not of our making
**NOTE
Stargazer lilies originated in the late 1900s, making them a new addition to the more than 3,000-year-old lily family. Depending on their context and color, stargazer lilies can mean purity, sympathy, prosperity or hope. Though traditional stargazer lilies' petals have red and pink bursts of color outlined in white, stargazer lilies can also be solid white. Read more: What is the Meaning of Stargazer Lilies? eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5792067_meaning-stargazer-lilies_.html#ixzz0u5pT2uI9

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful haiku, Chris. Absolutely beautiful.

    And the star gazer lily is beautiful also. It is startling on the page and I can almost smell it.

    ReplyDelete