Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Coronation Gold


With abundant moisture this spring and early summer the Yarrows are very majestic. Suited to our arid climate, they grow and bloom each year despite the whims of mother nature. Right now they are between 4-5 feet tall. The type that I planted around the house is called "Coronation Gold".
I am trying to reprogram my day and find things to do that I enjoy by myself and have no memories attached. At lunch I turned on the TV and went to Headline News; there I was lucky enough to see, live, the Queen of England address the United Nations. She is a remarkable woman and I admire her; people do not realize how hard she works. (I just wish she'd lose those hats!) A quote from her speech,
"the UN has moved from being a high-minded aspiration to being a real force for common good. But in tomorrow’s world, we must all work together as hard as ever if we are truly to be a United Nations”.

I remember her coronation in all it's splendor. It was one of my first experiences with television. Aerial on the roof, of course, we all sat in a darkened room and watched the Queen in her coach riding to Westminister Abbey in flickering black and white images. A far cry from the high definition color that I watch today. Coronation Gold.... a fitting flower for a Queen.

1 comment:

  1. It seems fitting also that the coronation gold of the yarrow is surrounded by the royal purple of penstemon. I guess it's penstemon. Yes, the hats are a reminder of days when "ladies" wore hats and white gloves out to go shopping and appear in public. A lot to say for those signs of gentility in these days when civility in both private and public seems to have gone by the board. The Queen is a wonderful woman who does, indeed, work very hard.

    ReplyDelete