Monday, March 21, 2011

Supermoon Reflections

sunday haiku

supermoon sinks low
with orange glow of morning
cloud wisp waves goodbye

A lot of fuss in the press about the supermoon. Cloud covered it for most of the evening on Saturday but I did get a peek as I went to bed; without my specs it was fuzzy and somewhat insignificant. However, when I got up on Sunday morning it was setting off to the west and against the navy blue sky it was ethereal and exquisite. I grabbed my camera and went outside in the cold to get some photos.

One of the things about the moon that I love is, wherever we are, we know that those we love are looking at the same moon and it connects us by a thin thread. As my dear friend Lorrin Walker once said, we are attached to those we love, heart to heart, by a thin thread.

Certainly I have a lot of thin threads going out to the japanese people in the form of prayer. In a few moments many of them had their life changed forever. I may hurt with my grief, but I am thankful for my home and familiar things around me for comfort; the tsunami victims do not have either home or family in many cases. Surviving children may be unidentifiable as to who they are. My heart goes out to them.

pray for endurance
for the people of japan
enormous sadness

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture of the supermoon. And I love your thoughts about how we are linked to those we love by a thin thread. The good news is that the thread, although thin, is very strong.

    I am amazed at the strength and stoic character of the Japanese. The news casters point out that this is the worst crisis in their recent history, but I'd suggest that their defeat in WW II and the bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki dwarf the earthquake and tsunami.

    After all, their faith in their Emperor was totally shaken, and having your religion and philosophy left in tatters is significant.

    ReplyDelete