Sunday, November 7, 2010

Weathering The Storm

Daily Haiku
paint weathers and flakes
a sign of impermanence
we must expect change


Walking around the outside of the house a while ago I was looking at the state of the fence. While not in the best of shape to begin with, it was hit hard by the big storm we had in July. Steph painted it in 2009 - but you would never know it right now. The hail plus summer sun have removed most of the paint; boards are broken and need to be replaced. Next spring there's a passel of work for Miss Fixit.

Looking at my life four months out from losing Peter, I think I am weathering better than the fence. My pain has lessened, I feel cheerful and experience joy on most days. I still experience moments when memories of Peter rise to stab my heart, but it is not quite so intense and doesn't last as long. I thank God for all the friends and our children who have helped to support me and who have cared for me knowingly or unknowingly. It will be a long winter but an interesting one, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful haiku. It complements the photo. And I'm certainly glad you are weathering this rough time in your life better and the fence. Perhaps if you send Steph a picture of the fence he'll come back next summer and paint it for you again.

    ReplyDelete