Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Really Fat Bat


Batty - Part One
Oh the joys of country living. I have been noticing some excrement in a corner of the dining room - thought that the wind had blown mouse dirt in during the storms that we've have been having regularly of late. Then yesterday I thought I saw some insulation hanging down and made a note to plug up the hole where it was.
Well it was not insulation! I looked more closely this afternoon and it was a bat! The fattest bat I have ever seen - is it pregnant? Yuk! The last time we had one in the house we asked our neighbor to deal with it. It was flying around the living room, there was no way out and nothing to catch it with, so it met an untimely end. I called the neighbor - this time determined to deal with it myself and he suggested plugging the hole with steel wool. I am now armed with a large bag of the stuff and ready to roll once it leaves for it's evening feeding outdoors.
Haiku #1
a really fat bat
made a social call on me
he was not welcome
7.00 pm- Update: Using the flashlight I was able to see at least 2 bats up there - a colony? I am waiting for them to go out for dinner.
Batty - Part two
They finally left for their evening feeding frenzy at 9.00pm and out came the old witch with her broomstick (literally). I used the telescoping handle of a microfiber duster, stuck the pads of steel wool on the end and rammed them up into the crevice - it was very large and took the whole package. I feel sorry for them - if they didn't look so weird I think I could love them, "just not in the house, boys". My feminist side scored some points today.
Haiku #2
living by myself
I often crave company
but not that of bat

1 comment:

  1. We are homeless bats.
    A feminist home-wrecker
    kicked us to the curb.

    ReplyDelete