Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Playgrounds for Bees

One of the hardiest plants in my garden is mint. It has a shallow root system and tolerates heat and drought very well. It stays green all summer giving the impression that I garden a lot when in actual fact I do minmal work! Right now it is beginning to blossom; the bees love it and between the Mint & Russian Sage I have a lot of visitors in the form of large bumblebees.
I encourage any bee activity in the garden. It is sad that our bee population has been so badly devastated over the previous years, so it is important to plant what they love.

Daily Haiku
bumblebee visits
gathers sweet nectar from mint
honey from the heart

1 comment:

  1. My understanding is that most of the devastation in the bee population is in those hives that are transported up and down the US to pollinate commercial crops. A local beekeeper said that most local bee hives are in good shape.

    black and yellow bees
    pollinate crops and flowers
    flying gifts from God

    ReplyDelete