Sunday, December 1, 2013

Living with Fred

FRED VALENTINE

haiku

when we live alone
we have some strange bedfellows
one way conversations

This fall I have been talking to the insects around the house and there sure are many of them. My friend Zeke Nile says "It's time to move to town, Chris!"  He's probably right.

The Box-elder Bugs  are the most prolific.  I generally put up with them as they are friendly little things and seem to seek me out when I am at the computer.  They perch on the monitor or walk across my hand when I am typing.  About the time they litter the floor so badly that I can't walk around them, I get out the vacuum.  This morning, one of them got onto the screen and followed the cursor around; he seemed to enjoy watching the changing light as I looked at pictures and text.

Boxelder bugs, Boisea trivittatus, are familiar insects to most people. They are generally not noticed during summer, but often can become an issue when they try to move into homes during fall as they search for overwintering sites.


My main friend is Fred, a large garden spider that lives in the bathroom ( see photo above) We are very compatible and he amuses me by dashing around while I sit on the toilet. He is also a voyeur; hides between the bathtub and the wall then comes out and walks along the edge of the tub when I am taking a bath! What a guy!  Now and then he gets into the empty bathtub and can't get out. So several times I've had to construct a ramp with a small towel so he can walk to freedom. This morning he happily scuttled up the towel and hid behind the hot air deflector - must be like a trip to Hawaii for him there!

I notice bits and pieces of box elder bugs on the bathroom floor, so I think he is eating them. A bit of a dirty eater I'd say, leaving the rest on the floor; sort of like medieval feasts - eating the meat and throwing the bones over your shoulder for the dogs! Might have to sew him a spider-size napkin.
Yup - all in all it's getting time to move to town!



1 comment:

  1. Dear Chris, I so enjoyed this posting. I myself am afraid of spiders. A deep down irrational fear. Mostly I pick up bugs in tissue and then deposit them outside. But sometimes, in my panic at seeing a spider, I step on it and then immediately feel regretful.

    I so admire your welcoming these visitors into your home. But like your friend, I'm thinking that living in town with neighbors right and left and across the street might be something to consider soon. And yet, what will Fred do without you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete