Monday, February 18, 2013

Refrigerator Soup

 Grey skies to the east - morning snow

Wind chime against light snowfall


daily tanka

President's Day
Lincoln and Washington
great men in their time
both saw their people struggling
what struggle would they see now

Soup for a Thrifty President
Leftover meat or tofu chopped small
1-2 Tbsps olive oil
1/2 small onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1 large yellow potato diced
2 large fresh tomatoes skinned and diced
(or as in my case 1/2 can leftover diced tomatoes)
1 can low sodium chicken or vegetable broth 
2 Tbsps chopped basil
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne

Saute the meat in the oil if uncooked.  Remove and set aside.
Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until transparent.
Add meat, diced potatoes, tomatoes, basil and broth.
Bring to simmering point; turn down the heat 
and simmer for an hour.
Serve with toast points or crackers.

Today I woke up to grey skies and snow flurries with a colder day forecast. I slept in and then got a series of phone calls so felt I was behind - then told myself it was alright as it was a national holiday anyway!  

By the time noon rolled around I felt like some homemade soup. So I looked in the refrigerator and made the recipe above with a couple of skinned and diced Italian sausages that I needed to use up.  Ate a late but delicious President's day lunch.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Chris, like you, I like to see what's in the refrigerator and pantry and make a soup from that! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soup is one of our favourites. I even use the minced meat formed into small meat balls to add a variation in texture and appearance.
    Glad you took a break for the holiday! Here we had what's been called Family Day designed for a longer winter weekend, the first after New Year's Day.
    This year Easter Monday will fall on April Fool's Day making it the only April holiday. I think we have managed over time to almost guarantee one per month where I live.
    By the way I liked you poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chris, I made a refrigerator soup this past Sunday and thought of you and your posting! Yum! Yum! Peace.

    ReplyDelete