Saturday, November 10, 2012

First Snow





daily haiku

six months of drought
the first good moisture is snow
white irony

Our first snow today. Yesterday it was dark and snowing but cleared with two inches on the ground. This morning I went to draw back the curtains, saw the white light shining through and I knew we'd had more. A total of around six inches.  With low temps forecast for next week we can expect it to go into the ground - how marvelous! I feel cold despite the house being at 70' and I know I am experiencing what my husband used to call the Radiating effect - the walls are cold and pull the heat away from your body.

Household hint #1

If you put brownies in the oven, 
don't go outside and rake leaves!

Household hint #2

If your brownies are over-baked,
crumble them in a dish, top with ice cream and a jolt of chocolate syrup :-)

Senegalese Soup for two - on a cold day

1 chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbsps finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1 apple peeled and cored - finely chopped
1 carrot peeled and chopped
1 stick celery chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 can low sodium (or homemade) chicken broth
1 Tbsp curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the chicken in a 4 qt Crockpot.  Saute the vegetables and apple in the olive oil, in a small pan until soft. Add to the chicken. Pour the the broth over the contents and stir in the curry powder. Cook on high
for 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper if you prefer.  Serve with a dash of cream or just as it is.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Chris, ah, those lovely photographs bring back to me my thirty-eight years living in Minnesota. I still--after three and a half years--miss it so.

    Thank you for the haiku and for the recipes. As a vegetarian, I don't eat chicken breasts or soup with chicken stock in it, but your posting made me hungry for a good soup and so this weekend, I'll make some. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup grabbed my attention from those lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete