Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Brits Must Have Their Tea In Bed

daily haiku


tea awakens me

golden taste of india

jump starts feeble brain


In the UK having tea in bed is a luxury that people indulge in quite a lot. They even make a machine to make tea automatically in your bedroom called the Teasmade - here is a link to a video that is fun to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDu0kZkjFw


Yearning to treat myself to this pleasure again, before I went to bed last night I set up a tray in the bedroom with electric kettle, cup and saucer, milk jug and sugar bowl and a 1-cup teapot with a teabag in it. This morning I woke at 6.00 and decided to go back to sleep then suddenly I remembered - ah - tea in bed! So I got up, turned on the kettle put on my bed jacket and got back into bed. The kettle boiled. I got out, poured the hot water over the teabag and stood there slightly chilly while it "mashed" then poured the final cup and got into bed again. Ahhh - delightful! I leaned back against the pillows, read, and drank tea before getting up.


But then what could I do without my first cup of tea as I read the newspaper at my computer? My day was totally discombobulated! So what did I do? Made a second cup of course!


I don't think tea in bed will be a part of my life on a regular basis but it was a fun exercise in getting chilled while going back and forth between the bed and the teapot. Of course, there's always a Teasmade!

No comments:

Post a Comment