Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Vision And Poetry


Sometimes the sky is a drama queen. Tonight she looked like something out of an art deco painting. One simply cannot capture it in a photo - for instance in this one the sky was far more turquoise. Besides which there is an interesting process in the mind. It sees the landscape and combines it with memory to enhance what we see; a part of the visual process, otherwise why would I have thought of the painting? Is this how we write poetry, consciously or subconsciously? Visual pictures or word pictures combine with our life images to produce something new?
Daily Haiku
day into evening
transitions before our eyes
heaven in a glance

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I have often asked those questions when faced with nature's beauty. And why does a scene like this flood the soul? Why is it beautiful to us? Would it be if we were color blind?

    I often find a feeling of sadness either follows the sense of overwhelming beauty or while I'm in thrall to the beauty. Why is that? Do we have a societal, Jungian concept of beauty that we tap into without knowing why?

    I'm full of questions. Thanks for the beautiful photo and the stimulation of questions about beauty, questions, I'm afraid, that can't be answered.
    At least I can't answer them.

    ReplyDelete